KOBLENZ INTERNATIONAL GUITAR COMPETITION 'HUBERT KÄPPEL' 2013
Chia-Wei Lin FIRST PRIZE
Anton Baranov THIRD PRIZE
and Ken Inoi JOAQUIN RODRIGO PRIZE
No Second Prize was awarded
The FINALS were held on
Sunday 19 May 2013 at 14.30
The FINALISTS were
Anton Baranov, Thomas Csaba, Xavier Jara, Chia-Wei Lin and Gen Matsuda
The Koblenz Guitar Festival BLOG has the details of
DAILY EVENTS AND CONCERTS during the
21st Koblenz International Guitar Festival & Academy
Push the FOLLOW button at the Koblenz Festival Blog to receive these updates automatically.
On 18 April 2013 at 7pm, a Guitar-Soirée "Women and Guitar" will take place in the headquarters of Lotto Rheinland-Pfalz, one of the major sponsors of the Koblenz International Guitar Festival.
The artists include: the siblings Nikita and Nasstja Müller (Wiesbaden), Bahar Türker (Turkey), Theresia and Katharina Weimer (Essen) and Sabrina Vlascalic (Serbia).
There will also be a presentation of this year's Koblenz International Guitar Festival programme to the media and the public.
As of 1 September 2013 Prof. Costas Cotsiolis (Greece) and Prof. Alexander S. Ramirez (Germany/Peru) will join the teaching staff of the Koblenz International Guitar Academy.
N.B. change of email address for
Koblenz (also Coblenz in pre-1926 German spellings; French Coblence) is a city situated on both banks of the Rhine at its confluence with the Moselle, where the Deutsches Eck (German Corner) and its monument (Emperor William I on horseback) are situated.
As Koblenz (Latin (ad) Confluentes, "confluence" or "(at the) merging (rivers)", Covelenz, Cobelenz; local dialect "Kowelenz") was one of the military posts established by Drusus about 8 BC, the town celebrated its 2000th anniversary in 1992.
After Mainz and Ludwigshafen am Rhein, it is the third largest city in Rhineland-Palatinate, with a population of c. 106,000 (2006). Koblenz lies in the Rhineland, 92 kilometers (57 miles) southeast of Cologne by rail.
Around 1000 BC, early fortifications were erected on the Festung Ehrenbreitstein hill on the opposite side of the Moselle. In 55 BC Roman troops commanded by Julius Caesar reached the Rhine and built a bridge between Koblenz and Andernach. About 9 BC, the "Castellum apud Confluentes", was one of the military posts established by Drusus.
Remains of a large bridge built in 49 AD by the Romans are still visible. The Romans built two castles as protection of the bridge, one in 9 AD and another in the 2nd century, the latter being destroyed by the Franks in 259. North to Koblenz was a temple of Mercury and Rosmerta (a Gallo-Roman deity), which remained in use up to the 5th century.
Its defensive works are extensive, and consist of strong forts crowning the hills encircling the town on the west, and of the citadel of Ehrenbreitstein on the opposite bank of the Rhine. The old city was triangular in shape, two sides being bounded by the Rhine and Mosel and the third by a line of fortifications. The last were razed in 1890, and the town was permitted to expand in this direction. Immediately outside the former walls lies the new central railway station, in which is effected a junction of the Cologne-Mainz railway with the strategic line Metz-Berlin. The Rhine is crossed by a road bridge and, a mile above the town, by a beautiful bridge of two wide and lofty spans carrying the Berlin railway referred to above. The Moselle is spanned by a Gothic freestone bridge of 14 arches, erected in 1344, and also by a railway bridge.
The city, down to 1890, consisted of the Altstadt (old city) and the Neustadt (new city) or Klemenstadt. Of these, the Altstadt is closely built and has only a few fine streets and squares, while the Neustadt possesses numerous broad streets and a handsome frontage to the Rhine.
As a member of the league of the Rhenish cities which took its rise in the 13th century. The Teutonic Knights founded the Bailiwick of Koblenz in or around 1231. Koblenz attained to great prosperity; and it continued to advance till the disasters of the Thirty Years' War occasioned a rapid decline. After Philip Christopher, elector of Trier, had surrendered Ehrenbreitstein to the French the town received an imperial garrison (1632), which was soon, however, expelled by the Swedes. They in their turn handed the city over to the French, but the imperial forces succeeded in retaking it by storm (1636).
In 1688 Koblenz was besieged by the French under Marshal de Boufflers, but they only succeeded in bombing the Old City (Altstadt) into ruins, destroying among other buildings the Old Merchants' Hall (Kaufhaus), which was restored in its present form in 1725. The city was the residence of the archbishop-electors of Trier from 1690 to 1801.
In the more ancient part of Koblenz stand several buildings which have a historical interest. Prominent among these, near the point of confluence of the rivers, is the church of Saint Castor (Kastorkirche), with four towers. The church was originally founded in 836 by Louis the Pious, but the present Romanesque building was completed in 1208, the Gothic vaulted roof dating from 1498. In front of the church of Saint Castor stands a fountain, erected by the French in 1812, with an inscription to commemorate Napoleon's invasion of Russia. Not long after, Russian troops occupied Koblenz; and St. Priest, their commander, added in irony these words: "Vu et approuvé par nous, Commandant russe de la Ville de Coblence: Janvier 1er, 1814."
Koblenz is a principal seat of the Mosel and Rhenish wine trade, and also does a large business in the export of mineral waters. Its manufactures include automotive parts (braking systems - TRW Automotive, gas springs and hydraulic vibration dampers - Stabilus), aluminium coils (Aleris Aluminum), pianos, paper, cardboard, machinery, boats and barges. It is an important transit centre for the Rhine railways and for the Rhine navigation.
Quelle: Wikipedia / GNU-Lizenz für freie Dokumentation